[Users] Multiple boots sharing Claws info on common partition

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 23:26:22 CET 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:40:51 -0700
Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 03:47:09 +0100
> Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:
>

> > > If it's all the same person
> >
> > Meaning, username and ID have to be the same. (Issue 'id' command in
> > terminal)
>
> User name, group name, UID and GID should all be the same. The user need
> not be member of all the same groups. (A good thing, as different
> disties assign users to different groups.) And that person wants all
> their mail and preferences across all the different installations to be
> the same.
>

> > > Everything except the actual mail and some mail metadata files is
> > > in ~/.claws-mail.
> >
> > But why would one not be able to maintain the same mail folder and
> > the same ~/.claws-mail for several linux ? Like, symlink it from the
> > 'data' partition.
>
> Sorry, I should have said explicitly that I think one can do exactly
> that via symlink. I say, "I think" because I haven't tried it. The
> reason I am fairly sure it will work is I have several computers and use
> rsync to keep the two directories in sync on them. User name, group
> name, UID and GID are all the same. Key to it is to shut down claws
> while syncing and only run one instance at a time.
>

> > And if you used (at least, roughly) the same application versions and
> > also want the same application configurations, anyway, then why not
> > use one /home (as a mount point) for all Linux. Well, i did not try
> > this myself. Maybe there are obstacles.
>
> I also have not tried this. I suspect some stuff will cause problems,
> e.g. Gnome. All your applications would have to be able to use the same
> configuration files regardless of version. One package upgrade that
> changes a file format or introduces new keywords, or some such, and you
> break all the installations you didn't upgrade. That is a nightmare I
> didn't care to get into.

Hi Folks;
I've been using a separate partition for "common data" but not config files for
several years now.  My /home/user has symlinks to the separate partition for
things like Documents, Music, Pictures, Mail, etc.  I don't put any of the
hidden config files there though due to different distros having different
versions of the programs. And of course make sure the UID is the same in each
distro, otherwise you wouldn't have access to the data files in all distros.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSUSE 11.4 x86_64    openSUSE 12.1