[Users] Multiple boots sharing Claws info on common partition

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jan 24 04:40:51 CET 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 03:47:09 +0100
Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> > If it's all the same person
>
> Meaning, username and ID have to be the same. (Issue 'id' command in
> terminal)

User name, group name, UID and GID should all be the same. The user need
not be member of all the same groups. (A good thing, as different
disties assign users to different groups.) And that person wants all
their mail and preferences across all the different installations to be
the same.

> > Everything except the actual mail and some mail metadata files is
> > in ~/.claws-mail.
>
> But why would one not be able to maintain the same mail folder and
> the same ~/.claws-mail for several linux ? Like, symlink it from the
> 'data' partition.

Sorry, I should have said explicitly that I think one can do exactly
that via symlink. I say, "I think" because I haven't tried it. The
reason I am fairly sure it will work is I have several computers and use
rsync to keep the two directories in sync on them. User name, group
name, UID and GID are all the same. Key to it is to shut down claws
while syncing and only run one instance at a time.

> And if you used (at least, roughly) the same application versions and
> also want the same application configurations, anyway, then why not
> use one /home (as a mount point) for all Linux. Well, i did not try
> this myself. Maybe there are obstacles.

I also have not tried this. I suspect some stuff will cause problems,
e.g. Gnome. All your applications would have to be able to use the same
configuration files regardless of version. One package upgrade that
changes a file format or introduces new keywords, or some such, and you
break all the installations you didn't upgrade. That is a nightmare I
didn't care to get into.