[Users] randomly parts of claws configuration get corrupted

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Feb 14 21:33:05 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:40:04 -0500
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:23:18 +0100 Hanno Böck wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm new on this list.
> >
> >I regularly have the following problem:
> >
> >From time to time, parts of my claws configuration seem trashed. The
> >first symptom is that on starting claws, it tells me the adress book
> >index is corrupted. It also seems claws is unable to fix the adress
> >book index by itself.
> >Also, all plugins are deactivated and parts of my account
> >configuration are deleted. Usually, some accounts disappear and one
> >is still there, but with partly wrong/missing configuration, I
> >assume it's all a sympton of a truncated accountrc.
> >
> >This is NOT after crashes, but on normal exit of claws. I really like
> >claws, but this is pretty annoying.
> >

> >Anyone else seeing similar problems? And any idea what the reason /
> >bug here is?
> >
> >(I'm running claws on Gentoo Linux, currently version 3.8.0, but same
> >thing already happened with previous versions)
>
> Just a SWAG...
>
> If you've been seeing this for a while, I'd be suspecting [a bad spot
> on] the HD. Do you have an additional drive on your system?  If so,
> try moving your ~/.claws-mail folder there and symlink to the new
> location in your home directory. This should stabilize things if it
> is the HD.  Then, you'll have to decide how long you can wait before
> replacing it...  :)
>
> Without an extra HD, you could try another partition; but that might
> be non-conclusive.
>
> HTH

Regardless of the outcome of Pierre's test, I'd also use the
smartctl program (assuming you run Linux) to test your disk(s). That
program reveals all disk problems, and if you have disk problems, you
probably want to copy your data off the disk immediately and go down to
the store and buy another one.

SteveT