[Users] Solution: Multiple templates, one account

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 9 11:57:04 CET 2012

Hi all,

Probably most of you know this already, but in case there's somebody
like me who didn't, let me tell you how I made multiple compose
templates even though I have only one account. The beauty of this is
that when somebody orders a book from me, I can write 90% of the letter
just by invoking the template.

So here's what I did. I made a folder, call it mytemplates, and
underneath mytemplates are folders for each of my books. For instance,
here it is for my books "Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting" and
"Rapid Learning for the 21st Century:

mytemplates
  28
  rl21

Now I highlight 28, right click, select properties, pick "templates"
from the list, and type in my template as a Compose template. Then I do
the same thing for rl21.

Now, when I want to write a "Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting", I
just highight mytemplates/28 and click the compose button, and bang,
the "Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting" template has populated the
new email. Pretty cool, huh?

These per-folder templates are kept in file ~/.claws-mail/folderitemrc.
That file looks vicious to edit, so what I do is copy and paste from
the Claws-Mail template box to Vim, edit it there, and then paste back.
The reason I do it there is that if a line is long enough to go off the
Claws-Mail template box, I could find no way to edit the part that
walked off the box.

Anyway, like I said, probably all of you already know this, but if you
don't, it's a pretty handy tool.

Thanks,

SteveT