[Users] Question about SMTP servers?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 02:11:21 CET 2012

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 23:42:29 +0100
Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no> wrote:

> Actually I am not using SSL when sending emails, so this solution
> works fine... :)

Hold on. Let me make sure I have this right.

Assumption 1: Your ISP requires authentication for SMTP. I assume that
your ISP does use SSL to encrypt authentication for SMTP. Correct me if
I am mistaken.

Assumption 2: You do not use SSL on your private network because it is
a private network. Again, correct me if I am mistaken.

Case 1: Use CM configured for your private network. This will not work
with your ISP given Assumption 1 above.

Case 2: Use CM configured for your ISP's mail relay. This will not work
with your private SMTP server given Assumption 2.

Is this an accurate summary? If so then the answer to your question is
that this isn't a CM issue at all. No MUA that I can think of can do
what you want without using multiple account profiles. The simple
solution is Case 2 as I suggested. It works on any network barring
those networks that explicitly or accidentally block mail traffic.

--
Rich P.