[Users] E-Mail Printing under FreeBSD

Olive not0read0765 at yopmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:27:28 CET 2012

Le 07/12/12, Jerry a écrit :
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10:01:07 +0100
> Olive articulated:
>
> > Le 06/12/12, edwardp at mcom.com a écrit :
> > > I have been using FreeBSD on-and-off for the past couple of weeks
> > > (by swapping hard drives, Linux on one, FreeBSD (as PC-BSD 9.0) on
> > > the other).
> > >
> > > When I printed an e-mail from the FreeBSD port of Claws, the first
> > > line at the top of the page was chopped off.
> > >
> > > I'm curious to know if this is a FreeBSD problem or perhaps a
> > > problem with the Claws port.  The printer is an HP DeskJet 932C,
> > > HPLIP (also installed) provides full support for this model.
> > >
> > > I was able to (somewhat) solve a printing issue with the SeaMonkey
> > > (SM) suite, printing web pages by adjusting one of the right
> > > margin settings in the configuration file, however the URL which
> > > should normally print at the upper right of the page with SM and
> > > Firefox, does not print in with the FreeBSD port of SM, so this
> > > could be an altogether different issue.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance..
> >
> > I do not know the answer but here are a few things you should do to
> > figure out the problem.
> >
> > First print to a file; and see the result (it should print to a PDF
> > or PS file) with a PDF viewer. Then print the file with the lpr
> > command (I am assuming you use CUPS). These steps will normally
> > reveal if claws-mail or your printing system is in cause and tell
> > you where to investigate. I suspect it is a problem with your
> > printing system. Try to look at the web (not necessarily in
> > relation to FreeBSD).
>
> I use FreeBSD also. If I attempt to print a page from claws-mail and
> choose my printer as the device to print to, only a blank page is
> ejected from my printer. However, if I choose the "LPR" option, all is
> well. I have tried to get help on the FreeBSD forum but without any
> positive results. Good luck getting it figured out.

The lpr oprions sends by default a Postscript file while the direct
print send a PDF (if the behaviour is the same as in the recent
version of GNU/Linux). I have had problem with pdf printing too. First
try to print with your printer switched off; then go
to /var/spool/cups and find the generated file (it should be a pdf) and
cancel the print. Copy this file out of the directory and try to print
it to see what happens. You can try also to put cups in debug mode to
see exactly what command are called or try to force CUPS to use the
Postscript backend (the files to edit are the *.convs file).

Olive