[Users] install "incomplete mailbox" failure (continued)

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed Dec 5 10:07:45 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 12:28:34AM -0600, Charles Blair wrote:
>    This is a continuation of my attempts to install
> claws-mail.  I'm sorry that I don't know how to
> post follow-ups within a single thread (I'm receiving
> digests, if that makes a difference).  Thanks to
> anyone who has the patience to read the detailed
> account below.

  Have you tried to select the text you want to reply and hit reply
button?

>    I have been using claws-mail 3.7.6 on another
> machine.  I have downloaded a debian linux package for
> 3.8.1 to my current machine, and am trying to use
> the same configuration as before.  The new machine
> has a dual-boot with Windows Vista, and claws-mail
> is working in Windows using this configuration.
>
>    I usually log into a linux terminal as "ceblair,"
> and then issue an "su" command, so I think the
> important stuff is happening in the /root directory.

  Why do you do that!? If you need to read root mail forward
it to a user account and you're done. Claws Mail can run
perfectly in a user account.

>    When I type "claws-mail" the first time, the "Welcome
> to Claws Mail" appears, but there are also messages
>
> failed to open directory: /usr/etc/skel/.claws-mail
>
> /root/.claws-mail/clawsrc: No such file or directory

  This is normal, it's first run. Don't worry about that.

>    I am using my university's server (imap.illinois.edu)
> for incoming mail, but am using a residential network
> supplied by comcast for outgoing mail (this has worked
> on previous installs).  The "About You" window already
> has an address including "comcast," which I have changed
> to the correct address.
>
>   Again, the "Receiving Mail" display begins by showing
> a pop server with an address including "comcast." I
> change this to imap.illinois.edu.  I am using SSL but
> not STARTLS.  I left the "IMAP server directory" blank.

  Is it using standard ports? Otherwise you should add :nnn after
server name, where nnn is the port number the IMAP server uses.
  Same applies for outgoing server, in case it's needed.

[...]
>   If I click on the folder and click "Rebuild folder tree"
> then click on "continue?" nothing seems to happen.
>
>   If I then go to "Tools" and "Network Log," there is
> the one line
>
>    Network Manager: network is offline.

  Yep, that's the probable cause of all of what you're describing. NM was
not very reliable, and in fact I stopped to use it completely.
  See http://bugs.debian.org/661334 for example.

  Click the little blue icon on the left of the account selector at the
bottom right corner of the screen to put it online, then try rebuilding
folder tree.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones