[Users] install "incomplete mailbox" failure (continued)

Charles Blair c-blair at Illinois.edu
Wed Dec 5 07:28:34 CET 2012

   This is a continuation of my attempts to install
claws-mail.  I'm sorry that I don't know how to
post follow-ups within a single thread (I'm receiving
digests, if that makes a difference).  Thanks to
anyone who has the patience to read the detailed
account below.

   I have been using claws-mail 3.7.6 on another
machine.  I have downloaded a debian linux package for
3.8.1 to my current machine, and am trying to use
the same configuration as before.  The new machine
has a dual-boot with Windows Vista, and claws-mail
is working in Windows using this configuration.

   I usually log into a linux terminal as "ceblair,"
and then issue an "su" command, so I think the
important stuff is happening in the /root directory.

   When I type "claws-mail" the first time, the "Welcome
to Claws Mail" appears, but there are also messages

failed to open directory: /usr/etc/skel/.claws-mail

/root/.claws-mail/clawsrc: No such file or directory

   I am using my university's server (imap.illinois.edu)
for incoming mail, but am using a residential network
supplied by comcast for outgoing mail (this has worked
on previous installs).  The "About You" window already
has an address including "comcast," which I have changed
to the correct address.

  Again, the "Receiving Mail" display begins by showing
a pop server with an address including "comcast." I
change this to imap.illinois.edu.  I am using SSL but
not STARTLS.  I left the "IMAP server directory" blank.

   The Sending mail display has "smtp.hsd1.il.comcast.net"
filled in.  I have replaced this, to be consistent with
my other computer, with "smtp.comcast.net".  Again, SSL
is used, but not STARTLS.

   I now have "Configuration Finished" and click "save".

   This displays the "detected configured mailbox, but
it is incomplete" message.  At the same time, the terminal
shows

  Can't create INBOX, Trash, Queue, Sent, or Drafts

  /root/.claws-mail/clawsrc: fopen: No such file or directory.

  When I close the "incomplete" message, the terminal shows

  While connecting to session manger: specified authentication
  not supported.

  If I click on the folder and click "Rebuild folder tree"
then click on "continue?" nothing seems to happen.

  If I then go to "Tools" and "Network Log," there is
the one line

   Network Manager: network is offline.

  However, my browser is working, as is my download of the
.deb package for claws-mail.

   There is a folder /root/.claws-mail/imapcache, but it
is empty.