[Users] Switching y and z in mimeview (patch)

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Mon Aug 27 19:26:31 CEST 2012

On 27 Aug 2012, at 18:59, Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> On 27 August 2012 at 09h16, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Since I didn't receive any feedback, so I implemented this in a simple
>> fashion. This feature allows swapping of y and z in mimeview, which is
>> useful on QWERTZ keyboards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ)
>> to operate mime part navigation with the left hand (like users of
>> QWERTY keyboards can do already). It does not modify the (y) and (z)
>> menu labels in the mimeview context menu, as this would have broken
>> existing translations/increased the size of the patch.
>
> Sorry, Michael, I intended to reply to your first email, then forgot
> totally.
>
> Your patch will work for you (and for others too ! :) but I don't think
> we'll want to include it, as it is too much specific.
>
> What would be interesting would be for us developers to challenge this
> existing (and summaryview's) switch-case block and see whether we could
> do the same normally using the top-level menu accels, so that it's
> easier for everyone to customize to their needs.
>
> I don't see why a Message/Selected part/{Save, Open, Open with,...}
> menu wouldn't work.

Don't worry, this wasn't a lot of work, but a good opportunity to take a deeper look at how claws preferences work - I agree that a general purpose solution would be better - if I find the time I might work on this at some point, given I can get some support in case of questions.

(Z and Y are unfortunately an issue many developers don't consider - in claws this is clearly a minor issue since the functionality is not critical)