[Users] Moving AddressBook from system to system?

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 22:00:15 CEST 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:35:39 +0200
Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have used Claws Mail on my Debian GNU/Linux testing/sid system but I
> just installed a new operating system on the same hardware, the Ubuntu
> Desktop 12.04 LTS.
>
> I can access from my new Ubuntu system the previously used
> ~/.claws-mail directory that is in $HOME/ directory on a partition
> that was used by Debian system.
>
> I copied this directory into my new $HOME/ directory on the new Ubuntu
> system but I can't find now all my addresses in the AddressBook that I
> was used on the Debian system.
>
> What am I missing here?
> How can I 'move' my Addresses from the previously used Debian system
> to the being used Ubuntu system?
>
> --
> Regards from Pal

Did you save your address book?  Under "tools" menu is an option for
saving the address book in either ldif or html formats. If you have a
backup of your system before the changes (you did make one, right?)
you could move the addrbook sub-directory and all the files ending in
"rc" to the new ~/.claws-mail folder.  The files ending in "rc" are
where all the settings, filters, etc. are stored.  They may have to be
modified if the CM version is different.

Hint for future upgrades/changes:  Make /home as a separate partition
and don't format it when making changes.  Keep all your "user" files
there and you won't lose settings/files when you make the changes.

But of course, ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP before any changes. Bad things can
happen to drives if say power is lost during disk preparation.

Tom

--
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the
world remains and is immortal.”  Albert Pine