[Users] Going off-line

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Thu Aug 16 19:50:32 CEST 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:53:57 +0200
Holger Berndt <berndth at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Do, 16.08.2012 00:20, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>
> >For some of us, editing a text file is easier and faster than
>
> Using the GUI-way is always preferred - where it exists.

I challenged Paul's statement "although Brad's suggestion is far
better for its simplicity, no?" by joking about how simplicity can be
subjective sometimes. I wasn't trying to give general advice :)

> When somebody fiddles with intestines, he'd better be a surgeon.
> Which, as far as support questions are concerned, the questioner is
> not (by definition).

Even though I wouldn't call menurc intestines - it's a pretty
simple keyboard mapping file after all
</opinion-dont-argue-i-dont-have-to-support-users-myself>

Did you see my question regarding mimeview keyboard shortcuts?
I was wondering if there is a solution or if I should check the
intestines there myself (figuring out the possibility of key
reassignment / digging deeper to learn where those segfaults and bus
errors came from).

Two more observations about the usability of the keyboard mapping
feature:
- The name "Enable customisable keyboard shortcuts" for this option
  seems a little bit misleading to me - as a user I would assume that
  this always has to be enabled to use customized keyboard shortcuts
  (the tool tip explains how it works, but.. you know). Something like
  "Enable keyboard shortcut configuration mode" (this is not great,
  better ideas are welcome) would make it clear to the user -
  especially since "don't forget to turn it off" is hidden in the tool
  tip as well (some kind of more visible message would be useful to the
  user). Imagine how somebody kills their keyboard config because they
  forgot to disable this mode
- Maybe change something visible in the main window (menu colors,
  window title, whatever), while this mode is active, so users don't
  forget (change menu colors?).

A lot of useful information is provided through tool tips in Claws
(most other software only provides minimal and/or useless information
through those). I wonder if this is considered good UI design or not (I
got used to it now, but it might be hard for beginners). Another great
example of this is "use black to underline" in the spell checking
configuration, which enables a red zigzag underline for spell checking,
that - by the way - leaves some artifacts once in a while.

I'm not religious about any of this, just observations ;)

Cheers,
Michael

> Holger

Michael Gmelin