[Users] Hello

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Thu Aug 9 14:36:05 CEST 2012

On 08 August 2012 at 22h57, Holger Berndt wrote:

Hi Holger,

> Again: The subject header is FREE TEXT, for HUMANS.
>
> RFC 2822 defines an OPTIONAL (->MAY) feature on this otherwise
> non-machine-interpreted free text header, which introduces "Re: "
> syntax.
>
> >And to quote the RFC '"Re: " (from the Latin "res", in the matter
> >of)', so Aw:, for example, (in my limited understanding of German),
> >being short for Antwort, a translation of 'reply', is wrong
> >anyway.>
>
> No, it's not wrong. It's just not the optional feature described.
> "Antwort: " qualifies as human-readable free text all right.

Sure, that technically true, the RFC is vague enough and just gives
advice, indeed.

The only thing is, developers who care follow that MAY and make their
program automatically prefix replies with "Re: ", while those who don't
give a shit make their program prefix with whatever comes to their
minds, so they can next proceed to their next RFC-breakage or
RFC-bendage.

:)
--
Colin