[Users] The reply mark in subject (R: Re:) recognition

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 22:52:29 CEST 2012

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 22:37:17 +0200
Holger Berndt <berndth at gmx.de> wrote:

> MAY (note the capitals) is defined in RFC 2119. It doesn't support
> Michael's claim either.

My reading of the RFC is like Michael's, I say it again without the
typo this time:

In my understanding of this 'MAY' it means may use "Re: or may not use
Re:". It does not mean "may use Re: or may use any other
abbreviation".

And to quote the RFC '"Re: " (from the Latin "res", in the matter
of)', so Aw:, for example, (in my limited understanding of German),
being short for Antwort, a translation of 'reply', is wrong anyway.

with regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune