[Users] "Printer Print to File doesn't accept PostScript files"

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:57:01 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:50:34 +0530
> Sitaram Chamarty <sitaramc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My laptop doesn't have a printer available, so for the occasional
>> printing need, I take a PDF and print it elsewhere.
>>
>> With claws, I try to print PDF, and it first asked for html2ps.  But
>> after installing that and trying to print, I get the above error
>> message.
> <...>
>> This is 3.8.0 on Fedora 17, if it matters.  Googling that error didn't
>> come up with anything relevant.
>
> Do you also have the cups-pdf package installed? I'm using Debian, and

Thanks!  I didn't even know such a thing existed -- never needed it
for any other application.

I installed it, and it works fine, with 2 caveats:

1. it won't print in color (cups-pdf itself does, as printing its test
page shows, and so does for example firefox).

2. it doesn't print the from/to/cc/subject fields for HTML email.
(I'm using the "fancy" plugin, not the "dillo" one).  It prints it
just fine for normal email but for HTML email, even if I choose the
first of the "message part selection boxes" (the one for the full
message), it doesn't.

Do you see these same behaviours?  If not, any idea what I can do to fix them?

I don't print often, but when I need to, I really need to.

> with that package installed I just printed your message to pdf with no
> problem. It will automatically print to a pdf folder in your home
> directory, and it doesn't ask you to name it or anything, so you'd have
> to rename it afterward if you don't like whatever it comes up with for
> the name.

Yup, but that's easy enough once you know where to look.

thanks again