[Users] gpg agent or claws does not cache password s/mime signing, how to check what is missing?

Marcel van der Boom marcel at hsdev.com
Fri Apr 20 22:08:27 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have s/mime signing configured which works fine. However, everytime I
send a message it asks me for my password for my signing key.

In claws preferences I have the following set:
- use gpg-agent to manage passwords set to ON
- grab input while entering a passphrase set to OFF

which is how I think it should be, unless I misunderstand their meaning.

I run the awesome window manager[1] on ubuntu amd64 12.04 and start
claws with a shortcut key handled by xbindkeys.

Sometimes claws seems to remember my password and I think there is a
correlation with how I start claws. That is, if I manually start it
from a bash shell instead of with the shortcut the password is
remembered and is asked for once.

This seems to indicate something in the environment ( like
GPG_AGENT_INFO for example) is different.

I'm a bit lost on where to check next and it's driving me nuts. Can any
of you give me some tips on how to approach this and what to look for
in debug logs etc.?

Thanks,
marcel

[1] https://awesome.naquadah.org/