[Users] Getting CM 3.7.10 into Ubuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 26 02:16:29 CEST 2011

Now that the Ubuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04) archive is open, I've been slowly
sync'ing and merging packages from Debian testing.  Being an avid Claws user,
I figured I'd scratch my own itch and merge Debian's 3.7.10 package.  Since I
know there are a number of Debian and Ubuntu users here, I thought I'd just
email this list with my issues.

The claws-mail package merge was pretty straightforward.  We carry just two
deltas from Debian.  One disables accelerator keys by default (LP: #223840)
and the other registers the correct x-scheme-handler/mailto.  Reading LP:
#223840 I think I'd have generally sided with Colin Leroy and kept the
upstream default, but since that decision was made quite a while ago and
Ubuntu users should by now be adjusted to it, I am reluctant to back it out.

But that's not the main issue.  The problem came when I merged
claws-mail-extra-plugins, and specifically the gdata plugin.  The problem here
is with version 0.2 of the plugin (available in Debian and on
www.claws-mail.org/plugins.php).  That plugin, both in the Debian packaging
(e.g. debian/control) and in the plugin's own configure.ac both depend on
libgdata < 0.9.0.  That's fine for Debian which has 0.8.1-2 in testing and
unstable, but not so good for Ubuntu, which has 0.9.1-0ubuntu2 in 11.10 and
12.04.

I don't personally use this plugin, and I'm not sure what to do about the
version mismatch, so for now I've disabled it in claws-mail-extra-plugins
3.7.10-2ubuntu1.  I've also opened a bug on Launchpad to track this
(LP: #881736).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/claws-mail-extra-plugins/+bug/881736/+index

I do see that Colin has a CM PPA on Launchpad under the ~claws-mail user, and
3.7.10 is there, but it looks like only for Lucid and Natty, both of which
have the older, compatible, libgdata-dev package.

If anybody has some guidance on fixing this version incompatibility, or if
Holger Berndt provides a newer version that's compatible with the newer
libgdata-dev, I'll be happy to re-enable it.  Please comment on the Launchpad
bug above, though of course I will also follow any discussions here.  If you'd
like to me to open a bug on CM's tracker, I can do that too.

Cheers,
-Barry