[Users] opening a folder takes 5 min !!!

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Oct 13 09:06:51 CEST 2011

Hello J.,

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:16:48 +0530 "J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:29:41 +0200
> wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello J.,
> >

> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:51:04 +0530 "J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in> wrote:

> > > Well, I have almost 40 filter rules, mainly for different mailing list,
> > > including claws itself. The incoming mails sent to the proper folders.
> > > Also have some rules based on some recipient address.
> > >
> > > Should I un-checked  "run processing rule when startup" in folder properties ?
> > > Can it help ?
> >
> > How many emails are in that folder?
> >
> > 24K messages may start being a big folder, it depends on your system
> > and if all the processing rules all matching all emails (which is, say,
> > not optimal at all).
> >
> > Commonly in folders processing rules, the 1st condition here is
> > "unread" (or "new") so that an email is processed once or at least the
> > 2nd condition makes it (I often color emails so my filters are: if
> > unread and color 0 and <the interesting matching condition> then color
> > non-0). The principle is the same for other actions but coloring.
> >

> > Regards,
> >  "run processing rule when startup"
>
> Hello WWP,
>
> My system is not so bad :-) It is a i5 based laptop having 3 GB RAM.
> But something in the setting might cause the slowness in CM.
>
> Your processing rule is interesting. as I understand it only
> bother with the unread and new mails; not all. Here is my filter rule
> for claws
>
> `````````````````````
> Account: joydeep at infoservices.in
> condition: to_or_cc matchcase "users at lists.claws-mail.org"
> Action: move "#mh/Mailbox/joydeep at infoservices.in/claws"
> ```````````````````````
> So the rules are checked when receiving emails...
>
> That's why Should I un-checked  "run processing rule when startup" in folder properties ?
>
> Can I improve it further ?
> What other measure can I take to make CM faster ?

That's a folder processing rule? When receiving emails? Is that IMAP or
what? Here I only use POP3 and folder processing rules only apply when
you enter a folder (or apply the rules manually).

Anyway..

The Run-processing-rules-when-startup applies.. at start-up. It's not
related to entering a folder, even if it makes CM slower to start.

Well, I'm not really sure where is your rule set exactly, but I'm sure
it's a blind one: it will always attempt a match, on new/unread
messages as well as on read/not-new ones, but since it's not a complex
one, the impact should not be so huge on a recent system.

Here I open folders w/ n*10K (n in [1-100]) and sometimes approx 10
folder processing rules and it always take at worst few seconds
(Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600  @ 2.40GHz). My global filtering
rules set is approx 200 rules from the simplest to the most complex
one (they apply at incorporation of POP3 stuff). Even w/ my previous
systems it never took minutes to process a rules set.

Regards,

--
wwp