[Users] Claws crawls on KDE

Paul Rolland (=?UTF-8?B?44Od44O844Or44O744Ot44Op44Oz?=) rol at witbe.net
Fri Nov 25 17:51:19 CET 2011

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:19:28 +0000
Graham P Davis <newsboy at scarlet-jade.com> wrote:

> I’ve mentioned this problem on openSUSE newsgroup but no-one there had
> the same problem, so I'm trying here to see (a) if I really am alone and
> (b) if anyone can suggest why I'm suffering.

I guess it'll be hard to help you efficiently, as no version is ever
mentionned, and the you sent was created using a different MUA, but :
 - I'm running Claws 3.7.10 on a Fedora + KDE machine without any such
   symptom,
 - I've seen older release of Claws using more and more memory as time
   goes, thus causing the machine to slowly degrades performance, but that
   was long ago, and 3.7.10 is OK now. I never investigated to identify
   wether that was a bug in Claws or qt/gtk/gdk/kde/... but my current
   config is rock-stable
 - I also have about 10 differents mail accounts, so it seems my config is
   close to yours, except for RAID ;)

And last, my Claws keeps running for days, and it is heavily used all day
long, it is opened also during night as I want my machine to continue to
fetch mails.

The main difference seems to be the CPU usage : top reports :
 1974 rol  20   0  903m 146m  17m S  0.0  3.7   0:34.12 claws-mail
so here CPU is about 3.7% but that's also at the time it is fetching, and
I'm composing. Overall usage is less than 1% (Old dual core CPU, 2GHz).

> I can only think of a couple of other possibilities: (a) Claws was
> designed for running on Gnome and there may be a problem with how it
I can't blame Claws+KDE combination...

> fares on KDE, and (b) there is a steadily-growing I/O problem while it
> is running. My /home directory is on RAID 10 whilst all others are on a
> separate disk.
Maybe you could try to use something as iostat to see if that's happening ?

Paul

--
TelcoTV Awards 2011 - Witbe winner in "Innovation in Test & Measurement"

Paul Rolland                                E-Mail : rol(at)witbe.net
CTO - Witbe.net SA                          Tel. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 77
Les Collines de l'Arche                     Fax. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 99
F-92057 Paris La Defense                    RIPE : PR12-RIPE

LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulrolland
Skype    : rollandpaul

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10
or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you
when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation