[Users] Claws crawls on KDE

Graham P Davis newsboy at scarlet-jade.com
Fri Nov 25 11:19:28 CET 2011

I’ve mentioned this problem on openSUSE newsgroup but no-one there had
the same problem, so I'm trying here to see (a) if I really am alone and
(b) if anyone can suggest why I'm suffering.

When I first start up Claws, everything runs smoothly but after a couple
of hours I notice it beginning to slow down. Not only that, it slows
everything else down. After a couple more hours, I have to shut it down
to be able to use my computer, As soon as it is shut down, everything
starts whizzing along again. One caveat on this is that it has to have
been in use during this period; I started it up and just left it for 12
hours once and no symptoms appeared but, as soon as I started using it,
it began slowing down.

I have looked at the CPU usage and that can be around 20% for the total
system so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Memory climbs steadily and, by the time the problem shows itself, is
over 500 MiB; it is usually in a race with Firefox to see who can hog
the most. However, since I have 16 GiB on this machine, I don't see how
that can be to blame either.

I can only think of a couple of other possibilities: (a) Claws was
designed for running on Gnome and there may be a problem with how it
fares on KDE, and (b) there is a steadily-growing I/O problem while it
is running. My /home directory is on RAID 10 whilst all others are on a
separate disk.

I have about three dozen mail identities, of which all bar four are sent
to me on one account. These, I filter into their own account folders. I
noticed that I hadn't put a "stop processing" on each filter so there
would have been a lot of unnecessary searching. I remedied that but,
although there seemed a slight improvement, performance was still very
sluggish.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 11.4 (64-bit); KDE 4.7.3; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;