[Users] Getting CM 3.7.10 into Ubuntu Precise Pangolin (12.04)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 8 00:20:50 CET 2011

I was at the Ubuntu Developers Summit last week, but I finally got back to
this today.

On Oct 29, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Colin Leroy wrote:

>Yep. I uploaded Oneiric packages today which (should) fix rather
>annoying bugs on this distro, maybe you'll want to pick them for the
>real package: I don't think we'll have time to get a 3.8.0 or 3.7.11
>out before the next Ubuntu, and these bugs are rather painful.
>
>The patches are attached, two are for Claws' core, two for vcalendar.
>
>HTH :)

It does indeed, thanks!  I've enabled the PPA on my Oneiric boxes so I'll run
(and test of course :) the versions you upload there.  Instead of applying the
patches in your response, I just grabbed all the quilt patches in your 3.7.10
packages for Oneiric.  I added DEP 3 headers to them, with the descriptions
pulled from the CVS tracker.  For the claws-mail patches, I grabbed urls from
the CVS tracker for the Origin: DEP 3 header, but afaict, there is no
web-based CVS tracker for claws-mail-extra-plugins.  Please correct me if I'm
wrong and I will update the Origin: urls for those patches too (probably on
the next upload).

I've uploaded claws-mail 3.7.10-2ubuntu3 and claws-mail-extra-plugins
3.7.10-2ubuntu3 to Precise.

I'm happy to work more closely with you in order to provide a blessed, high
quality Claws into Ubuntu 12.04 (and even SRU critical patches to earlier
versions if necessary).  Whenever you make changes to the PPA, you can always
ping me and I can sponsor and/or merge those changes into the official
archive.

It's probably worth getting those changes into Debian too, but I don't have
upload rights there.  I can work on pushing the Ubuntu fixes up into Debian
and seeking out sponsorship, though it may make just as much sense to get
3.7.11 into Debian when it's released.  I don't use a Debian desktop, so
that's not scratching an itch for me. ;)

Thanks for bringing a great Claws experience to Ubuntu.

Cheers,
-Barry