[Users] syncing Android contacts with Claws

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Dec 26 08:15:08 CET 2011

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 14:17:39 +0100
Holger Berndt <berndth at gmx.de> wrote:

> I've tried to get addressbook sync working for me for a very long
> time, playing with SyncCe, OpenSync, syncing in Evolution and hooking
> Claws Mail up to that, and various other methods - with very little
> success over the years.

Good to know.

> When I got my android phone, I was really impressed how well
> Google-based sync worked out-of-the-box - so I hooked Claws Mail up to
> my Google addressbook using the GData plugin.

Funnily enough, I was actually not aware of GData plugin. Thank you for
pointing it out.

> It's not a sync, it just makes the addressboook available in the
> address-completion (and thus in functionality based on the address
> completion as well, e.g. addressbook-based filtering), but I'm happier
> now than ever before.

I may try that...

> Of course, if you try to stay away from a Google-based solution, this
> if probably no option for you.

Well, I'd like to...Before Android phone, I simply used Wammu as method
to sync my phone contacts with the desktop, but hoping to achieve more
integration with my mailer while using Android phone.

Yesterday I was told that upcoming work on new addressbook might be
plugin-based, so it could be possible to have e.g. SyncML plugin.

Otherwise, Claws is behind Thunderbird & Evo when it comes to syncing
contacts.

I also found some LDAP sync client at Market, but don't know if it's
still developed, and LDAP, in general, is not fun to me. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Never was there a time when I did not exist,
nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future