[Users] Reply with quote does not include the full message

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Dec 17 12:04:48 CET 2011

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:14:51 +0100 Ingo Arndt wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I really like Claws-Mail. Only one thing is driving me nuts.
>When replying to one specific friend with quote
>only a small part of the message is quoted, most is lost.
>
>I am used to hit the reply button and think about the reply
>while writing and deleting other stuff not worth to be quoted, so it is
>kind of bad if forget to answer half of the questions when a lot of the
>quote is missing. Maybe I am just to lazy but switching to another
>window for looking what may be lost is something I don't like.

Do you see the full message BEFORE you hit Reply?

If so, at the point the message STOPS being quoted, what is in the
message?

Any chance the sender included a line containing only "-- " (dash, dash,
space**)? This is the default signature separator after which no quoting
occurs.

** Note that the space is not visible!

Alternatively, have you changed your "Signature separator" (see
Configuration->Preferences for current account...->Compose) or in any
other account, if any, to something different and which happens to match
text in the message where the quoting stops?

>He sends his mail via a webmailer from "A1 Webmail" (Austrian Telekom)
>and it seems to be a multipart message and only the first part seems to
>used when quoted.

Here, it sounds like only the first part is visible when reading.

>There is nothing more in the first text part, only the
>second one is complete. The full mail is visible when reading/looking at
>it in the inbox preview window.

BUT...  here you say "The full mail is visible"...  so partial quoting is
most likely due to a signature separator...  anything else would likely
be a bug.

>Maybe it is a really badly broken webmailer (I don't know it) but is
>there a way to fix it in claws-mail ?
>Other mail client seems to have no problem with his mails (Thunderbird
>and Outlook). Sylpheed does suffer the same problem as Claws-Mail.

The devs will need a sample message which causes the problem and what
your signature separator is set to...

>Best regards,
>Ingo

HTH,