[Users] Some questions from a possible new user

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 16 19:31:37 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 06:18:59PM +0100, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:58:18 +0000
> Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, but how exactly?  I.e.  I have installed/loaded the plugin and I
> > have pointed claws at a directory hierarchy full of mbox mailboxes - and
> > nothing useful happens.
> >
> I assume the folders in question are related to a configured account?

I have played around a bit and now understand (sort of) how claws
manages mbox files.  It's not very obvious initially (IMHO).

    When you create a new account claws *assumes* that a directory
    called Mail in your home directory is the top of an MH hierarchy.
    This is what initially confused me.

    So, you have to *remove* the 'Mailbox' at the top of the
    (non-existent) MH hierarchy and then use the File-Add mailbox menu
    to add an mbox mailbox.  It still calls it 'Mailbox' even though
    it's rooted at the default 'Mail' directory.

    If you create a hierarchy of directories under the Mailbox then
    claws creates directories with the suffix .sbd to the name one has
    given them.  Thus it cannot *possibly* pick up a hierarchy of mbox
    directories created manually or with another MUA.  A claws hierachy
    of mbox files can thus (as far as I can see) only possibly be used
    by claws, unless there are other MUAs that happen to use the .sbd
    suffix (which seems unlikely to me).

So, claws apparently can't work in harmony with mutt, at least not with
mbox files.

--
Chris Green