[Users] Firefox 8.0

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Dec 7 06:37:22 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:26:13 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 01:00:47 +0100
> Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> dijo:
>
> >I'm using iceweasel 8 (which basically should be the same as ff8) and
> >i can change the mailto handler in the GUI application manager to
> >anything else. It's a NextStep-Clone DE (as far from XFCE or Gnome as
> >another solar system.)
> >
> >Try this:
> >
> >(1) cd into your firefrox home folder under ~/.mozilla (it's not the
> >'default' one) /(2) grep Evolution *
>
> I have only one ~/.mozilla folder. What did you mean by "it's not the
> default"?

$ ls ~/.mozilla/
extensions  firefox

So he probably means something in ~/.mozilla/firefox. So:

Crash Reports  garbage.default  profiles.ini

where "garbage" is a string of different characters in each user on
each machine. So try:

cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default

> >For me it is
> >
> >mimeTypes.rdf:                   NC:prettyName="claws-mail"
> >mimeTypes.rdf:                   NC:path="/usr/bin/claws-mail" />
> >mimeTypes.rdf:  <RDF:Description
> >RDF:about="urn:handler:local:/usr/bin/claws-mail"
> >mimeTypes.rdf:                   NC:prettyName="claws-mail"
> >mimeTypes.rdf:                   NC:path="/usr/bin/claws-mail" />
> >mimeTypes.rdf:    <NC:possibleApplication
> >RDF:resource="urn:handler:local:/usr/bin/claws
>
> I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I misunderstood your
> instructions:
>
> [jjj at Devil8 .mozilla]$ grep Evolution*
> ^Z
> [5]+  Stopped                 grep --color=auto Evolution*
>
> I killed it after 20 minutes. The hard disk light never came on and my
> CPU monitors didn't budge, so I assumed it was stuck and doing
> nothing.

It should have been:

$ grep Evolution *

and I get:

grep: lock: No such file or directory
Binary file places.sqlite.corrupt matches

This is on Ubuntu 11.04 running Gnome. I select my mail reader using
Gnome's application selector. So I get a different result than Michael
did. On my system firefox has no preference for a mail reader, and (I
assume) queries Gnome. So my result, two spurious lines, is reasonable.

However, Michael's result shows that he found what he wanted in the
file mimeTypes.rdf.

> >If the GUI manager does not work try hacking the file.
>
> Was I supposed to be using a GUI manager? Which one? I was using a
> terminal.
>
> I don't understand the specific meaning of "hacking."

He means edit mimeTypes.rdf, replacing every instance of the
fully qualified path to Evolution with the fully qualified path to
claws-mail. That will be the results of the command

which claws-mail

(On my system: /usr/bin/claws-mail.)

> I think my brain failed to grep a basic instruction at the beginning
> of what you said.

I think Michael expected you to be more knowledgeable about general
Unix command line hacking. On this list, this expectation is not
unreasonable.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/hack.html