[Users] Firefox 8.0

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 18:49:13 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:28:23 +0000
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> dijo:

>On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 00:23:32 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> That page suggested that Firefox would display the default mail
>> client that was specified in Preferred Applications, but it does
>> not. I have long had Claws Mail in the Preferred Applications. I
>> just checked and it is still there. But the Edit > Preferences >
>> Applications > mailto option still shows just Evolution (default).
>
>Seems like something worth reporting either in the Fedora Bugzilla or
>maybe here if it's related to the Gnome shell:
>
>https://live.gnome.org/EveryDetailMatters

Aha! The problem is not yet solved, but your comment caused some
synapses to fire.

I did not think to mention that, just prior to the upgrade from Fedora
14 to Fedora 16 (in anticipation of hating Gnome 3), I installed and
configured Xfce. Gnome is still installed, and I can log in with it if
I choose, but I have never done so since upgrading to Fedora 16. I have
come to love Xfce more than I ever liked Gnome and I have no desire to

Since the desktop environment switch happened at roughly the same time
it could be Xfce that is causing the difficulty. Clicking on a mail
link in a web page is not something that I do very often, so the last
time I did so successfully was in Gnome 2.3.2 on Fedora 14 with Firefox
3.something. It could be the desktop environment switch, the Fedora 16
upgrade, or the Firefox 8.0 update.

Cia Watson: I can launch Claws Mail from a terminal with "claws-mail."
But in the Edit > Preferences > Applications > mailto there is no place
to type in a command. I can select "Use other" and browse for the binary
but, having found the binary, clicking on "open" does not change it from
Evolution.