[Translators] Context needed for ambiguous strings

Besnik Bleta besnik at programeshqip.org
Mon Apr 1 18:46:36 CEST 2024

Hello!

I’ve finally worked on a sq translation for Claws Mail and I’m left
with a hundred or so strings (96% done, according to Poedit). Some of
those are untranslatable, some need a bit of context. I tried to look
at the source but it’s not easy.

So I’m asking here for help about those. I’ll try to copy here the
source string and sometimes the source for cases I think might
help, to make it easier for any helping hand.

#: src/addressbook.c:484
msgid "_Browse Entry"
msgstr ""

Is this string correct? One would expect “Browse Entries”

#: src/browseldap.c:221
msgid "Browse Directory Entry"
msgstr ""

Idem.

#: src/common/ssl_certificate.c:334
#, c-format
msgid "Cannot stat P12 certificate file (%s)\n"
msgstr ""

Is there a definition for “stat” here?

#: src/compose.c:683
msgid "Check _backwards misspelled word"
msgstr ""

My understanding is that with this options the machine is asked to
check backward for _words_ rather than _word_.

#: src/editjpilot.c:281
msgid "Additional e-Mail address item(s)"
msgstr ""

Is this string dealing with adding any additional field when
adding/editing an address to an address book?

Are those items chosen from a predefined list or arbitrary ones at user
will?

src/editldap.c:697 msgid "Bind DN"
msgstr ""

#: src/editldap.c:713
msgid "Bind Password"
msgstr ""

Is “Bind” a verb in those two strings?

#: src/exphtmldlg.c:639
msgid "Format"
msgstr ""

Is “Format” a verb, or a noun here?

Here’s the source for this one:
 * Create export HTML dialog.
 */
static void export_html_create( void ) {
	export_html_dialog_create();
	export_html_page_file( PAGE_FILE_INFO, _( "File Info" ) );
	export_html_page_format( PAGE_FORMAT, _( "Format" ) );
	export_html_page_finish( PAGE_FINISH, _( "Finish" ) );
	gtk_widget_show_all( exphtml_dlg.window );
}

#: src/filtering.c:639
#, c-format
msgid ""
"rule is account-based [id=%d, name='%s'], not matching the account
currently used to retrieve messages [id=%d, name='%s']\n"
msgstr ""

There are a few strings similar to that one, i.e. “rule is
account-based…, not matching…”

Could someone explain the context here?

#: src/gtk/quicksearch.c:422
msgid "true if execute \"S\" succeeds"
msgstr ""

Is “true” a boolean value here?

#: src/imap.c:655
msgid "protocol error (very probably non-RFC compliance from the
server)" msgstr ""

Is this to say that the server is not RFC compliant?

#: src/importldif.c:774
msgid "The LDIF field can be renamed to the User Attribute name."
msgstr ""

Does the LDIF field get renamed “User Attribute”? Or some name
applied to a “User Attribute” goes as the name of that LDIF field?

#: src/mainwindow.c:573
msgid "_Attract by subject"
msgstr ""

Some context is needed here and probably a synonym for “Attract”

#: src/mainwindow.c:678
msgid "Post"
msgstr ""

Verb or noun?

#: src/mbox.c:94
#, c-format
msgid ""
"Could not stat mbox file:\n"
"%s\n"
msgstr ""

What does “stat” mean?

#: src/oauth2.c:699
#, c-format
msgid "OAuth2 encoded: %s\n"
msgstr ""

#: src/oauth2.c:700
#, c-format
msgid ""
"OAuth2 decoded: %s\n"
"\n"
msgstr ""

Are “encoded” and “decoded” verbs here? Or are these statements about
something encoded/decoded by some OAuth2 protocol? Here’s the source:

	 log_message(LOG_PROTOCOL, _("OAuth2 original: %s\n"), in);
	 log_message(LOG_PROTOCOL, _("OAuth2 encoded: %s\n"), result);
	 log_message(LOG_PROTOCOL, _("OAuth2 decoded: %s\n\n"), tmp2);

#: src/plugins/managesieve/sieve_editor.c:81
src/summaryview.c:5825 msgid "_Filter"
msgstr ""

Verb or noun?

#: src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:672
msgid "Set window manager urgency hint when new messages exist"
msgstr ""

#: src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:681
msgid "Set window manager urgency hint when unread messages exist"
msgstr ""

#: src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:1345
msgid "Block command after execution for"
msgstr ""

Some context needed for what comes after “for”. Time? Something else?

#: src/plugins/pgpcore/prefs_gpg.c:398
msgid "User or key ID:"
msgstr ""

User ID? Or just “User”?

#: src/plugins/pgpcore/select-keys.c:702
#, c-format
msgid "Encrypt to %s <%s>"
msgstr ""

Any context about the variables here? Here’s the source:

    title = g_strdup_printf(_("Encrypt to %s <%s>"), uid->name,
uid->email); buf = g_strdup_printf(_("This encryption key is not fully
trusted.\n" "If you choose to encrypt the message with this key, you
don't\n" "know for sure that it will go to the person you mean it
to.\n\n" "Key details: ID %s, primary identity %s <%s>\n\n"
	       "Do you trust this key enough to use it anyway?"),
	       key->subkeys->keyid, key->uids->name, key->uids->email);

#: src/prefs_actions.c:1004
msgid "for the file of the selected decoded message MIME part"
msgstr ""

Could someone break down the thing here? Like “The user has selected a
message and we take the file for that message after decoding and look
for the MIME part and…” These concatenation of names might be
easy to understand in English. but this is not the case in all
languages…

#: src/prefs_folder_item.c:426
msgid "Folder chmod"
msgstr ""

chmod is a Unix command. What’s this string supposed to mean?

#: src/prefs_folder_item.c:582
msgid "Fetch message bodies from the last"
msgstr ""

From the last _some_time_variable? (Last hour, last 3 days, …?)
Or something else?

#: src/prefs_spelling.c:125
msgid "Faster switching with last used dictionary"
msgstr ""

Any context to help understanding what’s this for?

#: src/prefs_toolbar.c:1370
msgid "Mapped event"
msgstr ""

What sort of “event”?

#: src/summaryview.c:2530
msgid "Attracting messages by subject..."
msgstr ""

What’s “Attracting”, in relation to messages?

#: src/summaryview.c:3088
msgid "Sorting summary..."
msgstr ""

Is this the summary of some sorting, or is it the sorting of some
summary?

And talking of “Summaries” I’d be grateful if someone explain the term
to me, specifically: is it part of mail protocols/terminology or is a
Claws Mail thing?

#: src/toolbar.c:538
msgid "Wrap para."
msgstr ""

Is it the truncated word the word “paragraph”?
Is there any space limit to cause the truncation?

TIA,
Besnik