[Translators] A ruby script to split plugin messages

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Dec 16 11:44:41 CET 2017

Hello,

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:53:35 +0100 Slavko <slavino at slavino.sk> wrote:

> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Sat, 16 Dec 2017 17:11:46 +0900 UTUMI Hirosi
> <utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp> napísal:
>
> > Hello,

> > > Splitting po files won't reduce the number of messages, and in fact
> > > can increase that number by having to translate twice or more the
> > > same string in different po files.
> >
> > I wrote a ruby script to split messages into core and plugins.
> > e.g. "de.po" has 3944 messages. 2871 messages are for core (or
> > for both core and plugins). 1073 messages are for plugins.
>
> I understand your frustration with new translation - i translated
> bigger projects than CM is - with 6000 and more messages and yes, it is
> terrible work.
>
> But after initial translation it is fun. E.g. in this CM update i got 4
> untranslated and 16 fuzzy strings. At this point i am happy with only
> one .po (.pot) file ;-)

Definitely agreed w/ that. Starting a translation from scratch is an
ant work, a heavy, long and difficult work - despair and headaches -
you need to dig into the application to see the context, sometimes the
source code, and to dig into both the source and target languages to
understand things. Translators are that completing that work are
super-heroes (I'm writing this to encourage newcomers). And once it's
done, any further release often brings just few things to
add/change/remove, that fits the super-lazy'ers we are (I'm also
writing this to encourage..).

Regards,

--
wwp