[Translators] A ruby script to split plugin messages

UTUMI Hirosi utuhiro78 at yahoo.co.jp
Sat Dec 16 09:11:46 CET 2017

Hello,

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 11:54:10 +0100
Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> wrote:

> > 1. Is it possible to split translation messages into Core and
> > Plugins? 4000 messages are too big. Sylpheed has only 1771
> > messages.
>
> Splitting po files won't reduce the number of messages, and in fact
> can increase that number by having to translate twice or more the
> same string in different po files.

I wrote a ruby script to split messages into core and plugins.
e.g. "de.po" has 3944 messages. 2871 messages are for core (or
for both core and plugins). 1073 messages are for plugins.

# Before you split translation:
1. Backup your files first. Don't remove your original files.
2. You need ruby > 2.4.

# Usage:
$ ruby split-plugin-messages.rb de.po
It generates de-core.po and de-plugins.po.

If you want to cat them, run
$ msgcat de-core.po de-plugins.po -o de-all.po

I attached the files:
split-plugin-messages.rb.bz2,
de-core.po.bz2, de-plugins.po.bz2

# Why I want to split the messages for plugins.
I found many removed translation files in claws.i18n.status.pl.
I merged old ja.po to the latest pot file. I could get 75% translated
messages, but they were not included in the binary packages.

Maybe we need to translate 95% messages.
http://www.claws-mail.org/i18n.php?section=projects
It's hard to keep 3746/3944 (95%) messages, and it's very difficult to
complete the new translation from scratch. 2871 core messages are still
big, but it's smaller than 3944 total messages. :-)

I think 50% translated messages are still good for users.
English error messages are better to report bugs, and
many users don't see pop-up tips.
If they don't like partial translation, they can remove it easily.
$ sudo rm /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/claws-mail.mo
Or they can complete the translation. :-)

Regards,
Hirosi