[Translators] How do you manage two Claws Mail binary?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Aug 5 21:10:08 CEST 2016

Hello if.gnu.linux,

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 16:32:27 +0300 "if.gnu.linux" <if.gnu.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you know before we send updated/new translations , we need to test
> them against new release. I suppose that you compile Claws Mail with
> updated/new translations then test it, and you do not want to mix
> existing Claws Mail, which is installed by your preferred distribution's
> package manager, with newly compiled one. So, how do you manage to keep
> two Claws Mail binary and not to mix them?
>
> What I do is:
> 1- Compile Claws mail
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
> --exec-prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
>
> 2. Change claws-mail.desktop file
> Exec=$HOME/claws-mail-git/bin/claws-mail
> --alternate-config-dir $HOME/claws-mail-git/.claws-mail %u
>
> 3. Copy claws-mail.desktop as claws-git.desktop to
> ~/local/share/applications directory.
>
> I wonder if there is an another method that can help to me/us.

I personally build 2 versions of CM in /opt (--prefix), and use 2 user
accounts to run them in parallel if needed. Light to put in place, same
system environment (so that you compare what can be compared), no harm
to each user respectively, their running configuration is separated.
If I would need more testing, for instance running in other Linux
boxes, or perfectly isolate a test bed, I would run in VMs.

Regards,

--
wwp