[Translators] New batch of remarks

Thomas Bellmann ThomasBellmann at gmx.net
Thu Oct 23 07:01:23 CEST 2014

Eyolf Østrem schrieb
am Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:05:43 +0200:

> Ambiguous:
> =====================================
> #Which words belong together?
> #: ../src/main.c:937
> msgid "Failed to register folder item update hook"
>
> #: ../src/plugins/libravatar/libravatar.c:381
> msgid "Failed to register avatar header update hook"

At least for this I can maybe help:
look at the code the lines refer to. In Poedit you can do so by
right-clicking on text or translation in the list, else just open the
mentioned file and go to the mentioned line number.

e.g. for
| #: ../src/plugins/python/python_plugin.c:652
| msgid "Failed to register \"compose create hook\" in the Python
| plugin"

you will find

|   /* load hooks */
|   hook_compose_create = hooks_register_hook(COMPOSE_CREATED_HOOKLIST,
| my_compose_create_hook, NULL); if(hook_compose_create == (guint)-1) {
|     *error = g_strdup(_("Failed to register \"compose create hook\" in
| the Python plugin")); return -1;
|  }

Since these hooks in the code are named like the template of the
translation I didn't bother to enforce a maybe ugly translation but
kept the name of the hook intact:
| msgstr "Registrieren des \"compose create hook\" im Python-Plugin
| schlug fehl."
Beside sparing me some headaches while translating I'd assume that a
developer will appreciate more an error message regarding a "compose
create hook" then a "Erzeuge-Erstelle-Haken". To find the
connection for the latter he'd had to dive into the po-file.

For the other strings I agree that quite some of them could do with
more love and care.

One you mentioned and I looked in my translation I commented this way:
# Maybe not completely correct translated but I could not get the
context... #: ../src/compose.c:6173
#, c-format
msgid "Original %s part"
msgstr "Originaler %s-Teil"

For some strings it could be helpful to look at the translations of
other languages.

hth
Thomas