[Translators] Some issues with the original l10n strings

wwp subscript at free.fr
Wed Oct 22 13:26:43 CEST 2014

Hello Eyolf,

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:07:38 +0200 Eyolf Østrem <eyolf at oestrem.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on the Norwegian translation, and I've come across a few places
> where the original strings may need some love and care. I was asked to post
> them here, so here goes.
>
> I also have a general question re. "headers": it seems some times to refer to
> the whole header block, other times to the individual fields in the header, is
> that correct?

Few answers and 2-cents below..

> Difference between entering and opening a folder?
> prefs-summary-open.c:184 and 266
> 			      _(" Selection when entering a folder"));
> 					(_("Selection on folder opening"));

Could have been when selecting a folder, too. I presume it's the same:
opening sounds more software-able to me, I'd replace the "entering"
occurrence with a "opening".

> Should this not rather be "...as a command-line EXPRESSION..."?
> quote-fmt.c:93:
> 	"|program{<span style=\"oblique\">sub_expr</span>}\n(|p{<span
> style=\"oblique\">sub_expr</span>})\n",	N_("insert program
> output:\n<span style=\"oblique\">sub_expr</span> is evaluated as a
> command-line to get\nthe output from"), /* insert program output */

Hmm to me, a command-line is a short term for a command expression, an
attemp to launch a command, in a command-line. IOW, a command-line
expression is just a long form for a command-line.

> Three different forms for more or less the same thing:
>     attachwarner.c:220 and elsewhere:
>
>     Attachment warning
>     Attach warner
>     Attach Warner

Attach warner *is* the plugin name. It produces warnings, but the
"attachment warning", out of its context, doesn't sound pertinent to
me. Ricardo?

> Case difference
> #: ../src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:1001
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "Enable popup"
>
> #. Enable popup for the tray icon
> #: ../src/plugins/notification/notification_prefs.c:1581
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "Enable Popup"

To me it should be "Enable popup". Popup doesn't look like an important
term or concept here.

> Shouldn't these be sg/pl strings and not separate strings?
[snip]

> Is this "test OF" or "IN external program"?
> #: ../src/prefs_matcher.c:631
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "External program test"

OF. We're testing the external program invocation, in order to know if
calling this program works or not.

> Should these really be different?
> #: ../src/prefs_filtering.c:424
> #, fuzzy
> msgid " D_efine... "
>
> #: ../src/prefs_filtering.c:446
> #, fuzzy
> msgid " De_fine... "

Depends on the GUI context. Ideally both strings should use the same
accelerator, but maybe the E or F accel is already assigned in the GUI
context (menu, dialog) and cannot be freed without leading to another
accelerator issue elsewhere.

> No space between %x and (%a)?
> #: ../src/prefs_common.c:442
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "%x(%a) %H:%M"

Correct, no space.

> With/without period
> #: ../src/prefs_actions.c:644
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "Command-line not set."
>
> #: ../src/prefs_filtering_action.c:935
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "Command-line not set"

I'm not sure here, the context seems important. More generally, the use
of trailing punctuation (.) in GUI is a difficult thing to deal with.

In this context, the prefs_filtering_actions.c's occurrence is missing
a trailing '.' .

Regards,

--
wwp