[Translators] unclear string; synonyms

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed May 21 16:50:54 CEST 2014

  Hi Thomas,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 04:27:53PM +0200, Thomas Bellmann wrote:
> What is this string supposed to express?:
> | #: src/plugins/libravatar/libravatar.c:403
> | msgid "Failed to load missing items cache"
>
> Does it mean
> Failed to load the cache named "missing items cache"
> or
> Failed to load the missing items from the cache?

  It means: Failed to load the cache named "missing items".

  AFAIK (and some native speaker please correct me if wrong) you can
not omit the article and preposition if you want it to mean the second.

> Additionally, sometimes the strings referring to libavatar mention
> "icons" and "icon cache", sometimes "items" or "item cache". If
> these always refer to the same things, identical words should
> be used to avoid confusion.
> Example copied from de.po:
> | #: src/plugins/libravatar/libravatar.c:394
> | #, fuzzy
> | msgid "Failed to create avatar image cache directory"
> | msgstr "Ordner konnte nicht erstellt werden"
> |
> | #: src/plugins/libravatar/libravatar.c:403
> | msgid "Failed to load missing items cache"
> | msgstr ""

  Umm, there's no "icons" or "icon cache" on those strings.
  Can you post the specific msgids which appear confusing to you?

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~