[Translators] god news for the next release

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Mar 4 18:50:49 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:43:17 +0100
Andreas Rönnquist <mailinglists at gusnan.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:03:38 +0000,
> Paul<claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >We, (well, that is Colin for 95% of it), have now moved the extra
> >plugins into Claws Mail core. This is good news because it means that
> >for the next release you will have only one file to work on, instead
> >of many. What's even better is that all your separate extra plugins
> >translations have been merged into Claws Mail already.
> >
> >with regards
> >
> >Paul
> >

> Another point of view is that we will have strings in plugins that we
> don't use to translate (At least that is the case for me - as I am
> not using all plugins)
> I am a bit uneasy about translating stuff that I don't use normally,
> but believe I'll manage - A pretty big amount of strings to go through
> right now though...
>
> Does anybody else have any thoughts about this?
>
> I would be happy if there still was one po-file for each plugin - Then
> it would be very easy to decide which plugins you would like to spend
> time translating.
>
> (But in the end - I hope I don't sound too disgruntled - I am very
> thankful for all the work all you developers are doing.)
>
> best regards
> -- Andreas Rönnquist
> mailinglists at gusnan.se
> gusnan at gusnan.se

Hello,

My suggestion is to use "context" entries like Qt Linguist usually
does (see .pot files of Instant Messenger client called QutIM and open
them with poedit or linguist of Qt) so it will be easy to sort and
distinguish strings of plugins a certain translator does not use.

I do not know if it is possible to do with usual gettext tools or
without Qt code.

Regards,
  --GK.

--