[Translators] Support for msgctxt

Wed Nov 14 14:32:57 CET 2012

> Hello all,
>
> I wonder if it is time already to stop using deprecated msgid context
> strings for gettext, and move to msgctxt. Basically, this would have
> following effect for po/pot files.
>

> Programatically, We'd just switch from Q_("context|string") to
> C_("context", "string"), so the potential impact would be bigger
> for translators than for developers.
>
> I have no idea how well msgctxt is supported in various translation
> programs. It should be no problem, since msgctxt is available since
> gettext-0.15, which is several years old. Popular tools like Poedit
> already seem to support it (http://www.poedit.net/trac/ticket/148).

I am all for it, if the tools required are easily available for
translators. In my case I _might_ need to backport poedit, since I use
Debian Stable for most stuff like this, but that shouldn't be a big
hurdle.

Is the required functionality available in the version of poedit that is
packaged in current Debian testing? (Looks like 1.4.6.1 is what we'll
get in the next Debian release - which shouldn't be too far away, and
maybe 1.5.4 if we are really really lucky...)

But, with that said - please go ahead!

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists at gusnan.se
gusnan at gusnan.se